Arts & Culture

Whatley Center for Performing Arts
The Whatley Center is located on the campus of Northeast Texas Community College and provides world class performing arts, a student art gallery and is home to various visiting art exhibits. Performances vary from year to year. Please visit The Whatley Center (www.ntcc.edu/whatley/index.html) website for view the brochure to see the 2011-2012 schedule.

FM Road 1735
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455
903-434-8181
www.ntcc.edu

Mount Pleasant Public Library
Cypress Basin Genealogy Research Center
Mount Pleasant Museum
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455
903-575-4180
www.mpcity.net

Willow Oak Art Center
FM Road 1402
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455

The wood frame structure was built in 1914 to house the Oak Grove Church of Christ. The front of the building faced north until a 1950 renovation which enlarged the structure and turned it to its present easterly orientation. In 2980, Oak Grove Church of Christ vacated the building for a new facility and in 1982, the Mount Pleasant Art Society acquired the building for use as an art center.

Neville's Chapel Cemetery
FM Road 1042
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455

This cemetery is known for the rare Cedar of Lebanon tree which was planted near the entrance in 1902 and remains a focal point of the grounds today. The cemetery originated as a family plot for the Neville family from Tennessee. Alexander Neville was an early surveyor and country commissioner. Many existing markers are rich in local history with the oldest dating back to 1854.

Confederate Monument

On the southeast corner of the courthouse square, visitors will notice the Confederate soldier facing north, as if watching for an approaching enemy. Dudley W. Jones, Colonel and Commanding Officer of the Ninth Texas Cavalry, was the son of H. W. Jones, an early settler in Titus County. This elaborate memorial was erected around 1911 by the Dudley W. Jones, Camp No. 121 and Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of the Confederate veterans.

Titus County Courthouse

The original 1897 brick building was altered to an Art Deco style in 1940 with the addition of stucco. In 1962, the courthouse was sheathed in metal, as was the architectural custom of the time. Its designation as "the ugliest courthouse in Texas" led to still another renovation around 1990 that restored it 1940's appearance. Inside, visitors may view the bell which originally topped the 1897 structure. A Texas historical marker is located on the north side of the building. As the center of the downtown district, it is surrounded by many historic building which house specialty gift, antique and gourmet shops.

Edwards Cemetery

As a member of Company 1, 4th Missouri Cavalry, Henry Clay Thurston, at 7' 7-1/2" was the tallest man to fight in the Civil War. After the war, he moved to a farm in Titus County. During the post war years, Thruston was billed as the World's Tallest Man in a traveling circus. Although he died July 2, 1909, while living in Mount Vernon, he was buried in Mount Pleasant's Edwards Cemetery. The grave is located just slightly southwest of the center gate on Edwards Avenue.

Dellwood Park
Hwy 49 East
Mount Pleasant, TX

This beautiful 45-acre municipal park was once the site of a well-known health resort famous for its mineral springs. Nearly a century ago the lavish Dellwood Hotel stood near the springs and was a popular choice for Confederate conventions and political rallies. Long before tourism, the Caddo Indians had campgrounds there and were thought to have used the springs for medicinal purposes. The 80-room resort was vacant by 1925 when it burned to the ground. The mineral springs have long been capped, but the original Dellwood Hotel steps remain in the park identified by a Texas historical marker. The park has a swimming pool, jogging trail, nature trail, tennis courts, picnic tables, pavilion, playground and sports fields.

CHAMBER PARTNERS